Friday, November 16, 2007

In the Beginning. Physio: Week 1

Ah, New Zealand. You are only 8 months and 11 days away.

Might seem like a long time for some people, but when you’ve been dreaming about this day for years, the waiting to departure is peanuts.


My passport came in the mail this week. That was exciting. :) One more necessary document for the VISA application. The passports are different from my last one (which is now 6 years old). There’s a watermark over the page with your picture on it – kind of makes your face a different colour (redder?). Ugh – that dreadful passport photograph.

Oh well.

I wrote an email to the New Zealand High Commission in Ottawa and the NZ Honorary Consul in Toronto with questions about the VISA application process (conflicting information on two separate official documents). Still waiting to hear from them. :(


Physiotherapy began this week. I guess that’s a good thing. It’s the WSIB physio…so not the full physio that I do require for my knees and hips. More like special treatment for my right knee. I think my left knee is jealous.

I am doing 6 weeks of IFC treatments (something like Intermittent Frequency C…). Basically these large suction cups go on or around my knees and suck in and out (basically breathing) and also administer electric pulses. I felt like a science experiment.

My job is to sit and let the machine do its magic. It’s supposed to increase circulation in my joint and help strengthen my quads. I can only go twice a week…as their office runs on an 8am-4pm schedule three times a week (I can’t get off of work at 3pm!!!). So I go Tuesdays at 6.15pm, and Thursdays at 5pm. Thank goodness work has slowed down enough to enable me to attend at least two sessions a week.

So, I get to sit down and just read magazines. There was a moment when my leg suddenly started convulsing on its own…kind of worried me. My inner right quad muscle was really not enjoying the ‘shock’ treatment. Almost a freaky thing to watch. You just have to pray that your leg will calm down enough to not feel any pain. Or ring the magical bell the physiotherapist gives you in case of emergency.

At the end of the session, my right leg felt better than my left one. There is an unusual increase of discomfort in my left knee...and I fear it's my knee's revenge over not paying attention to its need for therapy.

Oh, and I learnt one exercise. I will apparently learn more on Tuesday when I meet my second physiotherapist.

I was also told to avoid stairs as much as possible. Yet, I work on the third floor of an old school sans elevator. Heh, heh.

After the initial 6 weeks, I have no idea what’s in store for me. I’m in the WSIB physio for 12 weeks.


Hopefully this will help strengthen my knees for the journey ahead.

No comments: