Friday, November 9, 2007

MEC date

Brent and I had a MEC date last night.

I love MEC. I would vouch for that store and their products forever. That store is like a little piece of Heaven on Earth to me. And it's because I'm interested in everything they sell. They cater to the outdoor adventure person -- from backpacking to camping to biking to kayaking to rock climbing and so on.

I get overwhelmed in the store though, so trips to MEC can be discouraging. I have too much on my mind and can't focus on what I need. A sense that I'm not prepared for this trip - or that I won't go with the right things.

Then I stop and think - it's a luxury to be able to afford items that will help with my trip - and that I shouldn't get overwhelmed. But to cut down on my costs once I'm in New Zealand, I need to make sure I have everything ahead of time.

Anyway.

The Spectre jacket was on clearance from 350$ to 220$!!! BUT...they were sold out and there wasn't any left at their distribution centre. MAJOR BUMMER. That's a huge savings on a coat that has now been replaced by 410$ and 435$ versions. OUCH.

That was a hiccup.

Looking at light dayhiking shoes as a third shoe option. One - backpacking boot; Two - backpacking sandal (with boot treads on the bottom); Three - possibly a lighter boot for day hikes sans back pack. Keen had a pair on clearance...but I wasn't sold on the idea. So, I'll probably miss the clearance for those as I ponder the need of a third pair of shoes.

The Gemini. We saw the tent. So...I don't know. A MEC rep was setting up another tent when we asked him if we could trouble him later to help us with the Gemini. About 20mins later, when we returned to the tent section, he had already set up the Gemini for this other couple, so all the work was already done.

So the pros and cons of the Gemini.

PROS: It's pretty lightweight. It packs small - which is good. It has two doors and two vestibules. It is larger than the Tarn 2, because it doesn't tapper at the feet.

CONS: It has two perma windows on the fly, that you can't cover - which is strange. You can't hook a gear loft properly. You can string one across the top, but not necessarily the most ideal way. The vestibules have no footprint. It's still pretty small - like 100% cozy, not very roomy...which is fine I guess.

It's 271$ + 19$ for the footprint (+?$ for the vestibule under tarps) + 3.50$ for a gear loft + repair kit, which would be wise to bring.

I don't think there is another option - as the next best one weighs a full kilogram more (ugh!).

It's stressful to think you have to fit everything into 23kg on your back. How do you distribute that properly without forgetting anything???

Overwhelmed.

What do I need to remember?

There is the prepping for the country - and then there is the prepping for the actual backpacking. It's a full time thought job.

I have to compile all my lists and see what we need.

Maybe next week, we'll visit Tilley Endurables.

No comments: