Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Living the life in Te Anau

So, minor set back in blog land. The computer at the hostel is fried and not living within the confines of the actual hostel at the moment. It's in the hands of a very slow going doctor.

It's been over 1/2 month.

On the plus side, we did discover free internet at the Te Anau library - which was closed when we first arrived due to a freak flood incident.

Missing in the blog posts so far are our adventures on the Routeburn track, the Hollyford track and the measly attempt at Hump Ridge. Each one unique with its ups and downs.

Life in Te Anau is quickly coming to an end. We are one tramp away from leaving the town we have called home since the very end of September. In the end we will have trecked 5 of the 6 tracks that we intended in Fiordland National Park. Left behind, the acclaimed Milford Track. What threw us from the track, outside of a plague of avalanche concerns, was the cost of actually getting to the track (boat transport both ways - upwards of $170/each) and my all time favorite, the famous quote. Milford is said to be 'one of the finest walks in the world'.

Inspiring, no?

Until you find out that the person who actually wrote that, NEVER once set foot on the track itself. Now, how do you figure that aspect of the quote was never made public?

Good times. We don't regret our decision. We have enjoyed the tramps we have been privileged to walk in the park so far. This part of NZ boasts an incredible and unique beauty that will not soon be forgotten.

Gas is finally down. Only 178.9 per liter. Want to know something really GREAT about New Zealand? On their labour day weekend (which just passed), their gas prices DROPPED by 4c/litre. Not a very common thing to see back home. But the price of oil dropped, so naturally, the pumps showed a drop as well. Still, somehow, the Canadian gas companies always find a reason to jack the prices up on a long weekend.

Our boots are starting to show desperate signs of aging. We take care of these things like no other boots/shoes we have ever owned. We're in and out of mud and water on a daily basis on the tracks. And the toll is visible as the wrinkles are setting into the once sexy new boots. They look at least 10 years old now. They are barely the same colour as they started out. Funny what a little tramping can do to a boot. Poor dears.

Did I mention that I was in physiotherapy? :)

Lately, it feels like I'm living in a medical center in a small town. So, I had to visit the doctor once before for the persistent illness that just wouldn't go away - even after antibiotics, I was battling something for another week and a half. Then I had to return to see the same doctor for my back, that started to show new signs of distress after the Kepler track. He advised me to seek physiotherapy treatment and provided me with a prescription as well as a 'script for a lower lumbar Xray once we return to Invercargill at the beginning of next month.

At this point in time, I have had two sessions of physio with the local therapist - she's really great, and a keen tramper so she wants to see me back up 100% - and I have two to go before we step away from Te Anau. This was the only opportunity I would have to seek treatment, as we will not be in another location for as long.

The unfortunate news is that this injury has seriously affected my tramping. It's now a quite painful experience, especially with any uphill action. I used to hop up and around so quickly, and now a days, find myself loathing the idea of the uphills and suffer, although mostly silently, through each agonizing step. It's been quite the downer for myself only because it really has taken away some of the joy that I used to get from being out there. It's an injury that has directly affected exactly what we came here to do. I know Brent sees how much it has affected me and my happiness on the trails as well.

We have a very long 10 day tramp ahead of us, and upon further discussion with Rosie at the hostel, have decided to postpone our trip to Stewart Island, not more than a week, to give my back some further time to heal before the treacherous tramp. It's a very hilly trek, every day high climbs and long descents. And when you tramp for that long, your start pack weight is unbearably heavy. The physiotherapist has asked me to cut down my weight, but when you look at the longer treks, you both need to carry a full pack, as one person could not manage the heavier items alone. After our last tramp, we are looking at doing a short term FHINZ (farm helpers in NZ) stay before crossing to the south. These one day breaks in between tramps has not been beneficial to my back problem.

It's nice though, because Brent lies down and does the exercises with me at the hostel so I don't feel as silly in the living room while others are around. My next appointment is tomorrow afternoon, where there will be discussion of a strap that puts pressure on my back that might help subdue some of the pain while we are on the trails.

Good news, today is the day we have been waiting for since October 2nd!! Tonight is our overnight Doubtful Sound cruise. We have been dreaming about this cruise on all of our hikes, and were hoping to have completed them all before this treat, but you can't rush healing. We will set off shortly for Manapouri, a small town just south of Te Anau, to meet up with a boat that will take us across the lake to meet a bus that will take us to our glorious cruise ship. We have heard amazing things about the buffet dinner and breakfast. On every tramp, we talk about what food we will eat first. Number one - SALAD. Something we both miss SOOOO MUCH. Followed by chicken and veggies. Sadly, food is a big focus on the trails - as you're burning off so many calories in a 8-10 hr day (on average) - your tummy really starts to take control of your brain. The wonderful views & food. Number one priorities on the trails. :)

Mind you, we have started to eat a lot better - not just soup and pasta between tramps. We have been making stir-frys and steamed vegetables. Yummmm.

None the less, these two buffets have been keeping our spirits up on the trails when we are most hungry. :)

And today is the day.

I hope to post soon about the last three tramps we have enjoyed. Worse case, I'll try to type them out within my 30mins time slot at the library.

Wishful thinking.

No comments: