Wednesday, October 24, 2007

2.7kg

I have a 23kg limit to each bag I bring into the country of NZ. I only plan on bringing one bag.

This brings about a challenge.

When you plan on backpacking for an entire year (real backpacking, like 10-20+kms/day, every day), you are very aware of what things weigh.

Cost vs Weight is a big challenge for me at MEC sometimes when I'm shopping. Pay less money for something heavier, or more money to save on weight. And the weight might not look like a lot to many people; 400-800g here, 350g there. But eventually, it all adds up.

Well, spare me 2.7 more kilograms.

UGH.

I was on the DOC website yesterday (love the amount of information on this site), and printed out a list of ALL the huts that the DOC runs/operates through the North and South island (like a thousand of them).

What do I find out. There are some trails that don't have huts (3 day trecks with only campsites), some huts have been shut down/removed due to age and I guess lack of use (??), and others are considered 'problem huts' - like you have to find out what the condition of the hut is before you rely on your ability to sleep in it that night.

There aren't a WHOLE lot - but enough to put me out under the stars quite a bit with the trip I'm planning.

And another thing - on the great walks, you have to book way ahead of time - like I would have to book NOW for next year type thing. Cause when you tramp during their peak seasons, you're competing with everyone, and things are booked very far in advance (ugh).

The last thing I want to do is set time limits...cause that would ruin my trip. I don't like time constraints - and I'd always be worried.

So, instead, I am bitting the bullet, and buying a tent.


I know, I know. The first thing I axed off my purchasing list back in the day. It's a very unfortunate situation, but it might be for the best. I'll still have a backcountry hut pass - and when possible, we'll use the hut system. When all else fails, we pull out the portable home.

A night under the stars is great.

A night under the stars in pouring rain, not so much.

So, that's my story of the day.


And my new humble abode, I shall visit on Sunday. Might possibly be the MEC Tarn 2 Tent. I used to be really up to date with tent information (when I was originally looking into this 4 years ago...man, it's been a while). But this one stands out as the best choice for me right now.

At 182$ + footprint at 24$, it's not terrible. There was another one for about 120$ more, that was about 1.2kg lighter (a big bonus) - but it did not perform well in the rain. And NZ's weather is unpredictable. In the mountains, I could go to bed in mild weather, and wake up in a light snow cover.

At 2.7kgs, this sucker takes 1/10th of my weight limit.

Although I am disappointed with this need, I feel that it will open up more opportunities for tramping (where the huts are no more) and should there be an overwhelming amount of people in one hut, this could be my refuge.

Oh - and on the great walks (where the hut passes are a separate cost, and can get pricey), this will save on overnight costs. Might cost me 3 nights at 7$ tent pitching charge, versus 120$ for a hut pass.

:)


Monday is passport day. Yay.

Then November is Travel Doctor month and VISA question/answer time.

Maybe I should set a shopping goal for November. I would like to buy a tent by end of November...but there really isn't a rush on that one. I'll try to see when tents are going out of stock to try to hit up on clearance sales.

No comments: