Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Step three: complete

So, the passport application is now in.

Sitting in the passport office - it's like you're playing the lottery. You sit with your ticket, mine being A005, and you watch the screen that displays the last three numbers called and you just wait. One by one, the new numbers flash at the agent's desk, and on the main board for all to see...D656, D657, G901, B303, D658, D659....it starts to look like having an A# isn't where it's at. Then finally, A004. So close.

I got a glimpse at the lettering system this morning. A means simple. So, that's a good thing. I think C said complex. I didn't see B. D was renewal - for the fast track people. The G one, threw us off, cause there was no G button on the machine that gave out tickets. But man, did it ever pay off to be a D. They were called up the most.

I think B was internet application...maybe.


It was just kind of a funny game to play. A lottery. We're only a number.


At the front of the line, we saw this one gentleman get rejected for some reason. He slumped away from the pre-screening counter and grumbled to himself in discontent. My heart went out to him. I was there just yesterday - living with the sting of rejection over something so stupid. I really hope that he solves his problem.

One major score of the day - was amazing and pleasant people. I was so afraid I would have to speak to the guy from yesterday. I really didn't enjoy him. But we were in luck, and got this stellar gentleman who was really fast and excited.

Anyway. Life at the passport office.

At 7.20am, there was already a long line up - and by 7.50am, when they begin the pre-screening, there was a very impressive line up. Apparently there were radio reports that aired yesterday that alerted the passport seeking public, that there is a delay with the mail-in passport system right now...so this might explain the added bodies in the line up this morning.

We're all eager to get out of the country it would seem.


So next on the list, after November 14th, when I should see a registered package from Passport Canada, I tackle the NZ VISA. Oh, yeah, and survival and first aid training...although, I'm finding them to be a tad pricey. We'll see...


I leave in 8 months and 28 days.
Or 272 days. :)


PS - new purchase last night. Went to MEC with Goose, cause she's trying to find a backpack for her Argentina/Chile trip. I bought a Blurr Docket - on clearance last night. Not the most exciting purchase, but a baby step none the less.

Also, very exciting news, for me at least. The MEC Kokanee Gaiters are on clearance right now; to make way for the NEW Kokanee Gaiters. The new ones apparently feature changes to the buckle under the boot - which has always been the reason I did NOT want to buy the current gaiters. I'm going to check them out on Thursday night. Hooray!

No comments: